growing in the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ,
the love of God,
and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit.
where children know that Jesus loves them
because the Bible tells them so,
good friends and strong mentors,
where women and men worship God joyfully,
and strive for unity rather than uniformity.
that lives the gospel of reconciliation,
especially those who suffer, struggle, and doubt,
proclaiming with hope the kingdom of God
Fourth Presbyterian Church is a particular congregation of the Presbyterian Church (USA). Our mission, as shaped by holy Scripture and the Constitution of the Church, is to offer a clear and distinct witness to the gospel of Jesus Christ by:
- Centering the life of the congregation in the Word of God proclaimed in worship, enacted in sacraments, studied with care, celebrated in song, and embraced in personal devotion;
- Forming a fellowship of believers who will bear witness to their faith individually and corporately through caring for one another, serving others in the name of Christ, declaring God's will for the right ordering of our common life, and sharing God's grace with all;
- Passing on the faith of the church from generation to generation through an active program of Christian education and nurture for all ages in which believers are encouraged to grow toward maturity in Christ and obedience to God's will in all of life;
- Encouraging faithful stewardship of the gifts of time, talent, and substance which God has entrusted to us for building up the church and demonstrating the kingdom of God to the world.
These are the spiritual qualities we as a congregation strive to manifest in our life together:
- Christ-Centeredness: Christ is Lord of every aspect of our lives;
- Inspiring Worship: Worship is the heartbeat of our life of faith. We bring before God our very best in worship;
- Theologically Grounded: We teach, preach, and nurture all members in ways that are biblically-based, intellectually honest, and informed by the best resources of the Presbyterian and the Reformed theological tradition;
- Nurture: We welcome and care for one another in ways that encourage us to grow together into the image of Christ. We practice hospitality and encourage a culture of gratitude;
- Diversity: We build bridges to those different from us, racially, economically, theologically, and spiritually, and welcome discussion of issues, questions, and ideas, including controversial ones;
- Stewardship: We live as faithful stewards of all that God has entrusted to us;
- Christian Education: We pass on the faith from generation to generation in ways that challenge and encourage all members toward maturity in Christ and obedience to God's will in all of life.